Saturday 4 June 2011

Changing Transmission Fluid...is it too long & should I replace the filter?

I have a 2000 Dodge Neon with 89k miles on it, and when I was giving it a once over the other day I noticed the trans fluid was a light brown color to it. It didn%26#039;t smell burnt or anything just the color. I wiped the dipstick down with a white paper towel and took a picture of it, here%26#039;s the link:





http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/1579/鈥?/a>





Now I know the fluid needs to be changed, and I%26#039;m pretty sure I%26#039;m not past the point of no return (with the old fluid being so bad it%26#039;s better to just leave it alone %26lt;-- I don%26#039;t think I%26#039;m at that point yet )





The car only has 89k miles on it, I got it used so I really don%26#039;t know the service history, I was told when I bought it that the trans fluid was changed just before 70k miles, but I%26#039;m not really sure on that.





My question is...Should I drop the pan and put a new gasket on and change the filter? or should I just keep the filter it has and go somewhere and get the fluid changed with a fluid exchanger that doesn%26#039;t involve dropping the pan?





It doesn%26#039;t have any leaks right now so it really doesn%26#039;t need to have the pan dropped for any other purpose than to change the filter, but this one almost falls under the %26quot;if it ain%26#039;t broke, dont%26#039; fix it%26quot; category...meaning I don%26#039;t want to drop the pan and replace the gasket and everything only to find that now it leaks because i didn%26#039;t clean the mating surfaces right, or the pan was overtightened in the past causing it to be distorted or something.





What do you guys think....should the filter be changed or not?





Thanks,





Jim|||if the fluid looks brown on the stick, if you drained a quart it would be dark brown or black depending on the light. Its good it does not smell burnt, It is best anytime you drop the pan to change the filter, always pay attention as you pull the filter down, if the filter has a removeable screw, put it in the hole after you get the filter out of the way, this makes it easy when reinstalling new filter. you need to spend some time and get the brown fluid out of the torque converter too, one way is to install a drain plug kit (you can buy one for 10 bucks, and then over the next week or so, dump the four or five quarts in the pan, until you get some clear pink fluid inside. as much as possible, check with a trusted mechanic on the best way for your car. Do not add any tranny flush crap, just get as much clean fluid in as possible, this is the best thing for it, light brown is old tired fluid, so clean fresh fluid is best.|||People argue both ways; Just change the fluid and filter. My experience is that%26#039;s the best way to go.|||change fluid and filter about 80000 miles is average