Saturday 4 June 2011

I put a liitle bit of power steering fluid in my break system. How bad isthisfor the system? Should I flush it

Hi, I was changing my front callipers, brakes and rotors today. The guy at the AutoZone store gave me the wrong bottle and I put some power steering fuid in my brake system. I got some out already, but I am sure there is some left inside. Should I flush my brake system? Also, my brakes are a little softer than before? I%26#039;ll try bleeding them tomorrow morning again. Please, help. Thank you.|||Get the power steering fluid out. Flush it, bleed it all. It is not designed for it.|||I would bleed the system and put in the right fluid. Better safe than sorry! Sounds like you know what to do, so you will be fine.|||just bleed them and you will be good to go|||Hi, I wish I could help but i%26#039;m really not sure. Try calling the auto part store hopefully they know thier products. Good luck and have a happy Thanksgiving!|||power steering fluid has more solvents and chemicals in it than brake fluid but there both hydrolic fluids. If only a %26quot;little%26quot; in there it will be ok. Soft brake pedal has nothing to do with that.





It may take up to 5 bleeds to get all air out.


Make shure all air comes out though|||%26quot;Yugie 29%26quot; is right...


You need to have it flushed out.


ALL the rubber seals are going to soften up and swell.





Consider replacing ALL wheel cyliders, master cylinder, and ABS controler if you don%26#039;t want to completely flush it.





BRAKE FLUID IS BRAKE FLUID not power steering fluid.|||You must get ALL of that fluid out of the brake system. Power steering fluid has a petroleum base. What will happen is every rubber item in that car will swell up. When this happens, the brakes will not work correctly and to fix the problem, you will need to replace everything that has rubber in it.





This includes:


Master cylinder


ABS Module


Brake hoses


Calipers


Wheel cylinders





Suck as much of the fluid out as you can. Put new fluid in the master cylinder. Suck that out. Refill the master cylinder and bleed all the lines. I would suggest going around the car a few times to make sure you get all the power steering out.





I would do this as soon as possible to avoid a huge problem.|||yea I think you have to flush it all and adjust your brakes again, and purge them also.|||you need to flush the system with alcohol,the p/s fluid will swell all the rubber seals in the brake system,if it ran thru to the calipers it may be too late already,the problems may not show right away but the master will start getting stiff to push and possibly not return,the flex lines will start to deteriorate from the inside and the seals in the calipers will start to swell and restrict movement .this is not something to take lightly.i have repaired several of these over the years ,good luck|||It is not very good! Get it out and replace with fresh brake fluid and dont forget to flush.