Wednesday 26 October 2011

How to know if my Knock Sensor needs replacing?

Okay so i have a 3.0L V6 VVT - I (Variable Valve Timing), Here's my dilemma Check Engine Light comes on, I go get the codes read and they are cylinder misfire in 2,4,and 6. As well as random misfire codes. So i looked at the Sensor for the VVT, and i cleaned it off with break cleaner. It seemed to fix the problem until I drove for about 2 hours. Then it started actin up again. Almost like the transmission was slipping. So i need help, i'm going to the shop on Saturday, and i have the Sensor ordered. I'm doing a transmission fluid change as well. I have a hook up at the local Lexus dealership where all i pay is labor. I'm leavin for florida on Wednesday night. I need it fixed asap.
How to know if my Knock Sensor needs replacing?
Knock sensors retard ignition timing in the event of low octane fuel, advanced ignition timing or too much stress on the engine which will cause detonation. The VVT system works with oil pressure to advance valve timing in relation to engine speed usually over 3000rpm). If not working properly, it could advance valve timing when not required and cause misfires at low engine speeds. I doubt the knock sensor is at fault, start looking at the VVT system and wiring.
How to know if my Knock Sensor needs replacing?
VVT sensor may be going bad. what you need is a mechanic with a scanner to see into your cars computer to analyze what is going on. otherwise you will just be guessing and throwing parts $ at the problem.
mabey it's not the sensor, mabey you are missfiring. the whole point of the sensor is to throw a code if something is out of spec in the engine, that doesn't mean the sensor is bad.
first of all your looking at the knock sensor.....rarely do those go bad, try checking the condition of the spark plugs FIRST, before you start throwing money at parts.
spark plugs or wires.