Friday 7 October 2011

Leaking fluid from an incision site

I got a shot of Vivitrol and developed a mango sized lump at the injection site (a sterile abscess). I ended up having surgery to removed the then softball-sized tissue. When I came out of anesthesia they showed me the tissue and it looked like a softball sized brain in a jar when it was removed. Seemed to be healing nicely after 7 days and then I started pouring pink fluid from the incision/injection site (My butt...) I went to the surgeon and he squeezed a huge amt. of liquid from the area, but it is still leaking. My couch and car seat is ruined from the leaking.. How long should this leaking from the 'empty' cavity be expected? Surgeon said that my body wanted to fill the empty cavity with fluid and the pressure was too much and thus broke through the incision. But this is getting ridiculous after 4 days, having to change my clothes in the morning 2-3 times. I finally started using maxi pads as a dressing to try and collect the fluid. Anyone know when this will stop? Today has been 10 days post-op. I have tried to find info online with no luck. Thanks for any insight or websites that may give me answers. I am only the 2nd person that had this shot that has had to have surgery to remove the tissue.and cannot find the other person who went through this to get info and answer questions.
Leaking fluid from an incision site
A second opinion never hurts. Try another doctor.
Leaking fluid from an incision site
I had fluid leaking from my surgery and found out It was infected you should have it checked out ASAP.I had Staph.

ADDED_That's Good its probably ok than its way of cleaning its self.

I had a pad over mine at sterile tape tape to keep it in place.

Get well soon.
If I were you I would check for a good acupuncturist, someone who specializes in acupuncture. Check the link below to find someone in your area and see what they can tell you on the phone, if they can help.



There are lots of great herbs from Chinese medicine that could probably stop the leaking and speed up the healing tremendously.



Good luck with it!!
I have had a rectal abcess before, so don't know what the difference between it and yours is. By the time it was lanced and cleaned out, it was the size of an orange and very painful! It was several days in healing, but it would heal faster from the outside than the inside and I supsequently would get reoccuring ones about every month. No matter how clean I could try to keep it, It was an unclean area to deal with! A real pain in the @ss, literally! They packed it with gauze and used a pad and soaked through enough of them. Had a fiserectomy, but no guarantees that it wouldn't come back and I had the same problem for several years. I have had a lot of scar tissue.

Actually for the size you are talking about, it really is a good thing that it is draining. Maybe it will heal well eventually from the inside out and not have to be opened up to clean out or anything.