Friday 7 October 2011

Is it possible to leak amniotic fluid and not know it?

Today I went swimming to ease my pregnancy symptoms, and when I got back inside, I changed out of my swim suit and wrapped a towel around myself, i was pretty much dried off. I sat on the bed to put my shorts on, and got up and went back to the bathroom. When I came back into my bedroom I noticed a pretty big wet mark on my bed where I sat, it wasn't like alot, because Ive been expecting a big gush when my water breaks, but if it were just because i got out of the pool and still had water on me, there was too much for that. I havent been feeling any contractions or anything, but I was just wondering if anyone else has leaked maybe a bit of their fluid and hasnt known it.
Is it possible to leak amniotic fluid and not know it?
First, follow your gut, if you feel you need to get medical attention do. My guess rather than leaking fluid is cervical discharge. You were in a pool with all sorts of germs and invaders that your body is protecting you and the baby from. Cervical discharge is designed to protect the baby from germs and bacteria and anything else that could potentially cause a problem. As your pregnancy goes along you can have more discharge that gets thicker and even enough so you might have to wear a liner. Each pregnancy is different but there are the big signs that there is a problem, heavy bleeding, clots, extreme cramping, passing out, severe swelling of hands and face but there are many symptoms that are not so common that are normal so be calm. Easier said than done for a first time mother. Again if you feel you need to speak with a medical professional for the health of your baby and yourself by all means do. Best wishes for a happy and healthy pregnancy.
Is it possible to leak amniotic fluid and not know it?
If you are losing fluid it will continue all the way until the baby is born. If you don't experience anymore fluid in the next hour or so it's pretty safe to say that it wasn't fluid but more likely either your bladder or from the pool.



Labor doesn't necessarily start after your water breaks but the fluid does always continue to flow.
Yes. Your water is probably leaking. This happened to me when I had my daughter. A couple days before I went to the hospital, I noticed there was a wet spot in my bed when I woke in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. But I didn't think anything of it, I just thought it could have been sweat or something. Then the next day I thought I peed a little in my pants, and didn't think anything of it. Then the day I went to the hospital I had just gotten out of the shower and I was completely dried off and liquid dripped down my leg. And it was a really strong smell like chlorine or cleaning products. So I went to the hospital, and they checked to see if my water broke, and sure enough IT DID. They did an ultrasound and told me it looked like my water broke a few days before, because my fluid levels were low. But it was a good thing I came in when I did, because (I don't want to scare you) but if the water levels are too low there could be a risk of the baby being still born and getting an infection. So if I were you, it's better to be safe then sorry. Go to the hospital and have them check! Good luck and congratulations ahead of time on your new baby. =]
Yes, it is possible. With my second, I was leaking and didn't know it because her head was wedged down there and kept it to a slow leak, no big gush. And I didn't go into labor like they say, %26quot;oh, if your water breaks, you'll automatically go into labor.%26quot; I didn't.

It's better to go in and have it checked, you might feel a little silly, and it's kind of a hassle, but it's better safe than sorry. Your baby is at risk for infections, so don't insert anything into your vagina until you've been tested: meaning, no sex until you know for sure.

Good luck!