Wednesday 26 October 2011

I am really scared, 20 weeks pregnant and my water broke?

The hospital said that my membrane ruptured. I was in the hospital for 4 days. In that time my amniotic fluid levels went from (12 is normal) 10, to 4, to none, then to 7.5 on my last ultrasound. The first hospital suggested that I have my labor induced, (my cervix is still closed) I refused. Because my baby's heartbeat is very strong and my fluid levels is always changing. So I was sent to a bigger hospital. Where I was given antibiotics, and IV fluids. The doctor's sent me home yesterday with a prescription for antibiotics, and told me that I needed to be on bed rest and try to make it 4 weeks without an infection and going into early labor. If I can make it that long I will then be admitted into the hospital at 24 weeks and given steroids for the baby's lungs. I will have to be in the hospital for the rest of my pregnancy, they said I could deliver at 24 weeks and the baby might survive but they will try to prevent delivery until 34 weeks, depending on if I get an infection but the baby has to be born at 34 weeks.



I am really scared I will wake up and the baby will have been born without me know it. Is that possible?



Has anyone had an early water break like this? What was the outcome? I am so scared. But I still have hope.
I am really scared, 20 weeks pregnant and my water broke?
the second hospital is right in line with what we do @ the texas medical center. i had 1 pt. who's water broke @ 16 wks., she was hospitalized, put on mag. sulfate (i.v. med that relaxes muscles--your uterus) they may choose another med., but terbutaline then mag. is the protocol, along w/ a steroid to accelerate your baby's lung maturity, a regular i.v. to keep you hydrated and many other things such as serial u/s's, antibiotics (b/c risk of infection to baby %26amp; yourself), very limited cervical exams %26amp; monitoring of the baby as well as uterine activity. the pt. i had, was the earliest i had seen that had broke her water and had a successful outcome. She %26quot;sealed over%26quot;, which is possible if the leak was a small one--basically the amniotic sac healed itself and covered a pin-point hole. she left the hosp. @ 36wks. and had to be induced 2 weeks later! she brought a perfect 2-1/2 yr. old to see me later. this is a story of success and though it does not always turn out this way--this is what i want you to think about and meditate on. picture the leak as being closed, and you holding your baby at term. no negative thoughts--period! stay in bed, no sex, no holding or lifting other kids or anything heavy. while in bed, read the book %26quot;The Secret%26quot;, it will change your life and it works! i'm glad you did not have you labor induced. good luck, i'll be sending out positive thoughts for yourself and your baby.
I am really scared, 20 weeks pregnant and my water broke?
trust me you will feel when your baby is coming out. it hurts really bad. my water broke at 35 1/2 weeks. drink plenty of water because that helps your fluid level.
Wow thats a really scary thing to go through.

My friend actually went through this exact same thing. She had her baby at 22 weeks and he's doing just great. He was born at 1 1/2 Lbs.

He's now up to 5 Lbs and 8 ounces.

She finally gets to take him home next week.

I dont think you will sleep through the birth of your baby though.

You will feel the contractions and you will feel loads of pain if the baby were to come while you slept.

I wish you the best of luck sweetie as this is going to be a really tough Journey for the next couple of months.

Did the doctor say why your membranes ruptured in the first place?



Hope all goes well %26lt;3
My daughters birth mothers water broke at 26wks, and my little girl was born at 28 1/2 weeks. They kept her in the hospital the whole time, and my little girl was 2lbs 10oz, but they said it was because of the mothers drug/alcohol use. If you can hold out until 26 weeks, I say you should be ok. I'm so sorry this is happening to you.