Friday 7 October 2011

Why does the transmission in my craftsman riding mower slow down when I turn tight?

I have a riding mower that is hydrostatic drive. When I make a sharp turn it slows down to a crawl then when I straighten out it speeds up again. I do small engine repair on the side but this is my first hydro trans encounter. I tore it apart last winter and checked for wore or broken parts and did a fluid change. I am thinking that the belt might be loose. It feels like it should have more power than it does. It has a 20 hp kohler on it with a 48 inch deck.I am not sure what model it is because it was in a fire and melter the plastic hood. The sticker under the seat has char-ed beyond reading. But it runs and mowes like new. It is only about 4 years old. Any suggestions would be help full. It also moves faster in reverse than in forward. It is almost like the trans was put in backwards but the way it is put in it can only go one way. Thank you for the help.
Why does the transmission in my craftsman riding mower slow down when I turn tight?
There is a purging procedure that might help. Stick with me on this. First put the tractor on level ground with engine off. Disengage transmission using the little lever in the back of the tractor. Start the engine at slow with transmission in neutral and clutch pedal out. Move the shift lever to full forward and hold for five seconds. Move the shift lever to full reverse and hold for five seconds. Do this three times. Shut the engine off and engage the transmission. Start the engine and run about half throttle, slowly move the shift lever forward and go about five feet, slowly move the lever to reverse and go about five feet and return the lever to neutral, do this 3 times. That is the purge procedure from the manual.