Saturday 24 September 2011

42RE front band broken need estimate?

I was wondering about how much would it cost to have the front (kickdown) band on my 1998 Dodge Ram 3.9L 42RE transmission replaced? This is assuming that I drop the tranny and bring it to a repair shop with the replacement parts? I'm pretty sure that is what is wrong with the transmission. I'm pretty sure I broke the band after a fluid change because I was tightening the band down and it heard a loud pop. I checked my torque wrench and it was set to about 7 foot-pounds. So, I took it for a test drive and now it won't shift into 2nd gear from 1st. I can rev it up to about 20MPH and then let off the gas and it shifts into 3rd. No problems with 3-4 or 4-OD. If I am going above 45 and I floor it, it will try to downshift into 2nd and all it does is rev up really high and then shift back into 3rd. I was hoping someone might be able to give me an estimate, or tell me whether or not the job might be easy enough to do myself if I buy the parts and a service manual? Please help!
42RE front band broken need estimate?
it should be at least a couple of 100 dollars cheaper if you pull it out yourself roughly about with overdrive its about 1500-1700 so 2 to 400 less for removal and installation by yourself some places may be different shop around before you decide to take out the trans.