Wednesday 21 September 2011

Can the breaking of a timing belt cause transmission problems?

I was stopped at a light and when it turned green I stepped on the gas and my car died. When I first talked to the tech., he said it was a recalled bolt on the catalitic converter that broke. Then it was changed to the timing belt. 3 weeks later I picked up the car and the ladie informed me that the transmission was going. It was. I didn't have the problem before this happened. Now my check engine light is going on. I had problems with my alarm. Kia says they will not fix the transmission because under the %26quot;severe%26quot; maintanance schedule, I needed to replace the fluid at 30,000 miles. I'm at 58,000. I live in Virginia Beach. Who knew it was considered %26quot;severe driving conditions%26quot;. All I know is that I didn't have trans. problems before this happened.
Can the breaking of a timing belt cause transmission problems?
As far as I know, the timing belt has nothing to do with the transmisssion. The timing belt has a lot to do with the tune-up of a vehicle and it's starting and continuing to run after it's started. You said they told you the belt was broken AFTER they first told you that it was a Recalled Bolt. And then it was ALSO after they told you something was wrong witht the transmission, am I correct? Seems to me lie you're getting the run around?!?!?!? It may be time to talk to the Better Business Bureau, or your local Consumer Complaint Dept.
Can the breaking of a timing belt cause transmission problems?
To simply answer your question,,no it cannot. Period, but someone fooling with sensors could make it appear so, particularly if that same shop does transmission work.

Good Luck
I suggest you take the vehicle to a different auto service center for a second opinion. Most reputable auto repair places will analyze your problem and give you a written estimate prior to doing any repair. There is absolutely NO connection between a timing belt problem and your transmission. I smell a rat! You should look into filing a complaint if you find out that they were misleading you. If it was a new car dealership then contact the factory to register your complaint and have the documentation to prove your case and a qualified witness that is willing to go to bat for you means a lot! If it was just an independent shop then look into contacting the consumer affairs department of the state where it took place.
at 58000 miles thats not great for a tranny to be going out.i would trade the car off for somethign else pretty quick
You know this is so simple to say, car maintenance places are now unfortunately not all but most of them are out to make a buck, and wen the poor motorist comes there way , it`s like nectar to the birds, they will sezs the opportunity to rip us off, so I would always tell them what I have had done and insist on a detailed invoice once any work has been done on you car if if they refuse then they have something to hide, so always ask for this before they undertake any work.

Regards

Ryan Dior X