Friday 16 September 2011

Why wont my town and country shift out of first gear?

I replaced the gasket and solenoid pak, changed the trans fluid and trans filter w/gasket. When i get it up to where its time to shift gears the van feels like its just pressing on the break and it stops (engine still runs). I put it in park and back into reverse or drive and back to square one. Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks!
Why wont my town and country shift out of first gear?
The transmission is in %26quot;limp in%26quot; mode which is actually starting off in 2nd gear and not shifting. This happens when the computer gets a reading from a sensor that something is wrong.



One common problem is the failure of the output speed sensor. When it does not give the correct speed reading, the computer assumes a transmission problem and goes into %26quot;limp in%26quot;.



Have the transmission scanned for codes. You do not say what year vehicle you have, so I can not give you exact advice, but if there is a bad reading, replace the output speed sensor.
Why wont my town and country shift out of first gear?
The shift module inside the transmission might be bad and sending the car into limp mode. They have the limp mode so the car cannot be driven for any long distance with a bad module. Have somebody check to see if there are any trouble codes stored in the computer. If there are any in the 700's it is probably the module. I had the same problem with my wife's Intrepid.