Saturday 24 September 2011

How hard to change master cylinder on a 91 geo prism?

I have a 91 geo prism. A little on the problem: I noticed fluid leaking by my break pedal and around the floor under the pedals. I am pretty sure it is the master cylinder.



How hard is it to install one of these? How many hours would it take?



I am pretty familiar with cars, I have replaced a transmission and done a clutch job, but I am starting to get lazy with cars. I hate getting messy...lol
How hard to change master cylinder on a 91 geo prism?
If you've replaced transmission and clutches, a brake master cylinder is a relatively simple job compared to those.



Replacing the master cylinder itself shouldn't take more that an hour, but you'll need to bleed the brake system afterwards, which will be the only time consuming part as you'll need to have the car up on stands, remove all the tires, and keep checking the master cylinder (Bleeding brakes is a much easier job if you have two people doing it), and you may need to bench bleed the master cylinder before installing. I'd estimate it as a 2-3 hour job.
How hard to change master cylinder on a 91 geo prism?
piece of cake.If you've done a clutch this is a cinch.About 2.0hrs.
Easy but you have to be sure and prime the master cylinder by flushing out all the air. before you hook up the brake lines then you have to bleed the air out of the lines as well they make a kit to do this.