Saturday 24 September 2011

Help with a jerking transmission?

I am driving a 1997 Kia Sephia.



I don't know much about cars, I'm not that kind of guy. Personally, I wish I lived in a place where I didn't need one, all cars do is break down and cost money.



My car has always ran pretty well but recently I moved to a place where I have a larger comute. The check engine light came on today, and my car tends to jerk sometimes around 45 mph or so. It doesn't do it every time, and if I slow down and try again, or boost past that gear range, it usally stops. It hasn't stalled out or anyhting yet.



I have two main questions.



1. I'm only guessing that it is my transmission, is it? And if so, how likely is it that changing the fluid will fix the problem? How much does this usally cost?



2. There is no way I can possibly afford to have anything done to it before the friday after this one coming up. I have to have my car. Do I stand a chance at it not breaking down on me before then?



Thank you.
Help with a jerking transmission?
a check engine is not trans related at all. easy fix go to auto zone or advance auto for free check-up, if replacement part is to expensive ,then go to junk yard. most likely it is a sensor,which can be cleaned, or u may just need new plugs or wires. you should easily make it to payday.
Help with a jerking transmission?
Have the check engine light read and you'll have a better idea of what teh problem is. Many places do it for free. If it turns out to be a transmission problem, a fluid change will rarely fix a problem. It may help prevent a problem from getting worse, though. No guarantees on how long it will hold up. A word of advice on Korean cars: don't buy them. They have low resale value for good reason. They're some of the worst cars ever built.
You need to get your codes read. Auto Zone will do it for you. Just keep in mind that what ever code is in the system don't necessarily mean that part is bad. alot of different things can cause a certain code to be set. but at least it will tell you if it's engine or transmission related.
  • ie
  • cat
  •