Saturday 24 September 2011

If the doctor breaks your water, do they do it while you are lying in the hospital bed?

I'm getting induced on Monday, and I forgot to ask if I would be sitting in amniotic fluid while I'm in labor!! I didn't know if they would break my water while in a shower or over a bed pan or something... I really don't think that laying on wet sheets for hours while in labor will add to the comfort factor. Or can I request the sheets be changed afterwards? Help please!!
If the doctor breaks your water, do they do it while you are lying in the hospital bed?
lol, yes you lay down on the bed with your knees up. They use a thing that looks a lot like a crochet hook to tear a small hole in the amniotic sac. You will feel a huge gush of warm water come out but they will put down towels and absorbent mats to sop up the mess. If the sheets are wet they will get changed don't worry!



After mine were broken with my first (thats the way they actually induced me, not with the drip), I got up and was walking around and had a shower and I didn't notice any dripping or leaking because it had all come out in one big gush. They broke my waters about an hour before delivery with my second and I stayed on the bed after that and didn't notice anything overly wet underneath me because they had the towels and such down to catch the fluid.

Don't worry, they won't leave you lying in a puddle of mess!



Oh, when they broke my waters with my daughter to get the whole shibang going, the doc looked up and said, 'I know what colour hair the baby has!' because he'd caught some in the hook while breaking the bag. It was cute knowing what colour hair the baby had, before I'd even seen the baby or knew if it was a girl or boy!



Good luck and don't worry, it will all be fine!
If the doctor breaks your water, do they do it while you are lying in the hospital bed?
yes you will be sitting in it. you can ask to replace the sheets but it will do no good. the amniotic fluid replaces itself and still comes out long after the big gush of water.
They will put a pad under you, but just to let you know it doenst matter how many times they change the pad its always going to be wet. Once your waters are broken it keeps coming out. Good Luck!!
They will probably put an absorbent pad underneath you and change it whenever necessary. They anticipate a big wet mess and make arrangements for it. :)
When I was induced with both of my kids they broke my water when I was laying in bed, and I did sit in wet sheets, but if you ask they will change them, but for me that was worse then sitting in the wet bed. The second they changed it was wet again. Plus if you do get an epidural you might be like me and not even feel anything. I couldn't move so it was a pain in the but
yeah, in bed, but they'll put a large disposable absorbant pad under you, and will change it frequently so you're not wet
Yes. Personally, they put like a little pad (like dogs pee on!) underneath me and removed it afterwards. I would ask your doctor if he knows the standard for the hospital. Good luck!
yes you will be lying in the bed, they will put a pad underneath you and a pan probably, he will use this big needle that looks like a sewing needle with a hook at the end, insert and snag a hole in the bag of water. it doesnt hurt or anything. i wish you luck!!!
Yes, my doctor broke my water while I was in the bed. Believe at the time they break it, you won't feel it, because of the contraction pain. I was induced also, but no epidural, so OUCH !!!~~~You will not feel the wetness either. Good Luck!~~~
WELL... THE HOSP I WENT TO HAD ME WRIGGLE ALL THE WAY DOWN THE END OF THE BED AND THERE WAS PLASTIC SHEETING STUFF

THEY BROKE MY WATERS AND IT SORT OF BURST OUT THEN SETTLED ..

IT ( MY BUM! ) WASNT REALLY ON THE BED

THEN I WRIGGLED UP ON THE BED FURTHER AND THERE WAS A SLOW LEAK ... YOU WILL REALLY NOT CARE HONEY ... I PROMISE YOU WILL BE TOO FOCUSED ON BECOMING A MUM

THEY HAVE SEEN IT ALL BEFORE

CONGRATS AND BEST OF LUCK
I had it done twice the first time they broke my water then gave me a pain killer then me nd the baby fell asleep so they had to give me medicine to induce me and it was hard the second time it went slow even though they broke my water but they changed the pads constantly the nurses are there to help don't be afraid to ask I take it this is your first baby be ready for anything is the best advice
I've had three babies, and was induced with one of them. With all three, however, my water never broke on it's own, even after going into labor naturally. Usually, even if you're induced, the doctors will wait to see if your water breaks on it's own. Sometimes the contractions will cause this to happen, but for me it never did. My water was broken manually, by my doctors, in the hospital bed. This was always when I was 10+ cm. dilated and ready to push, they just broke my water and I was ready to go. I don't know how it will go for you, but my baby's were born in three different hospitals and that's how it was every time for me. If they give you a choice, request for them to wait to break your water until you are in really active labor. That way, you'll barely notice any discomfort. I've heard from women who weren't in active labor and had their water broken that it could be quite painful. I've also never heard of them doing it in the shower, most likely it will be in the bed, and hopefully you will be so focused on having that baby you really won't care about the sheets! I know I never did. Birthing is a wet, sometimes dirty business! You didn't mention if you were planning pain relief, such as an epidural, etc. If you are, particularly with the epidural, they will more than likely administer that first, so you'll definitely be in the bed when your water is broken. (You won't be able to get up after getting an epidural.) Hope that helps!! Don't stress about it, it probably won't be that big of a deal! Wishing you a short, wondrous labor and a very healthy baby! Good luck!
whenyou are in labour the last thing you are worrying about is a bit of mess on the bed lol good luck it will be fine you'll see its all worth it when you hold your screaming red faced newborn
There will be absorbent pads under you that will be changed after they break your water.



Unless you or the baby are in danger I would not suggest induction. Your labor is harder, it is difficult for the baby, more drugs are introduced into your baby which means they go to the baby.



Babies brought into the world early or for convenience sake usually have jaundice or lung problems. I don't know that anyone really knows the dangers of all the meds given to mom to induce labor. Could this be the cause of autism, ADD or ADHD?



Labor is a natural event triggered by hormones released from the babies lungs when they are mature.
They put lots of pads under you before they break your water, and then replace them. You will not be made to sit in nastiness the whole time you are in labor!
Well, they break your water in the hospital bed ...they have the absorbant pad under you to catch the water...you wont even think about it, once its done..you wont have anymore amniotic fluid coming out....its done and thats it...dont worry about it too much....
you will be on the bed but if you not comfortable you tell them OK, loads of deep breaths OK and you will be fine, trust me i know i have done it twice deep breathing helps. the very best of luck my dear.