Wednesday 21 September 2011

How to remove carpet from car?

My 94 Camry got stuck in high water that went all the way up to the seats and I only have liability insurance. I would just bring it to a detail shop and pay out of pocket but when the car got stuck the town I live in had it towed. The place that it was towed to was not accessible b/c the streets to get there were also flooded for 4 days therefore incurring fees to a total of $330. Attached to that is about $150 to my mechanic to change all the fluids in my car. So I'm broke now and I need to clean the interior myself.



I've been reading lots of info that says the best thing to do is take out the seats and remove the carpet. But how difficult is this? And can anyone refer me to a website that could guide me through this process or maybe someone here can tell me exactly what to do. Please help.
How to remove carpet from car?
Not really hard, but VERY involved...



You have to remove the seats, front and back, take off all %26quot;kick%26quot; panels from the door jams (the ones that screw to the lower edge, the carpet goes under them), the kick panels under the dash (both sides), the center console, and maybe way up under the dash (on the front edge of the carpet) there may be a couple trim strips there too...



You can also consider buying a small wet and dry vacuum, and vacuum carefully all the moisture that is under there...that takes much longer, as you have to do it a lot of times to finally get ALL the moisture out...hair dryers also help, once you got the majority sucked out through the carpet...
How to remove carpet from car?
I have a Dodge Stealth R/T and I took the carpet out, by yes removing the seats and everything that hinders the carpet to come out.



The I washed it intensely and put it back



If you have the time and the right tools and some skills, you can do it by yourself or with someone