Wednesday 21 September 2011

Green fluid in the reservior,red in the radiator,drove it till the rear of the engine smoked. Whats wrong?

The rear-right part of my engine has smoke coming off it when the engine warms up. It's a chevy S10, 2001. I took it to the mechanic %26amp; he volunteered to fill my radiator with green antifreeze, even though the reservior was full of red antifreeze. I drove it about 3 miles to get home and once the engine warmed up, more smoke started coming out the engine itself (not the pipe). The antifreeze shows no sign of air or oil getting in it. If I turn on the engine from a cold-start and run it for 5 seconds, then take the radiator cap off, I can see what looks like smoke or fine mist whisping around inside the radiator. If I start the engine w/ the radiator cap off, a few cups of the stuff spurts out the radiator. I'm not sure if any of that is normal. I do not know what's broken. The mechanic charged me $60 %26amp; told me it could be my head-gasket, but he's not sure, %26amp; he threw in an oil-change %26amp; some radiator fluid. I'm going to get some head-gasket/radiator leak goop to pour in there with water, I think it's called K%26amp;W. Any suggestions, or ideas? Thanks.
Green fluid in the reservior,red in the radiator,drove it till the rear of the engine smoked. Whats wrong?
Hi.....first things first,,,,,the red antifreeze is most likely Dex Cool coolant made for G.M. vehicles and is an extended life coolant,,,,the green stuff your mechanic put in is your standard coolant and the two should never be mixed....



the smoke that appears from your engine after it has warmed up may be a simple oil leak coming from the valve cover and making its way down to the exhaust manifold and burning off...have it checked



second....if your car is not over heating and you do not need to add coolant on a regular basis you are probably ok...bare in mind that periodically every cars coolant needs to be topped off ....it's a matter of how often you need to do it and how much it takes to fill it is the clue



if you start the car with the radiator cap off and run it a few minutes, it can spurt out do to the expansion of the coolant as it warms up . the same goes for the fine mist you see which is all normal



hope you find this info helpful.....
Green fluid in the reservior,red in the radiator,drove it till the rear of the engine smoked. Whats wrong?
You have a blown head gasket.

Take the heads off and have them checked for flatness.

At best, all you will need to do is changed the head gasket. At worst, you will need the heads resurfaced to make them true again.

And if you are really out of luck, you can have a crack in the water jacket. Sorry.
  • Fish
  • find my old friends
  •