Wednesday 21 September 2011

At 53,ooo miles, what maintanance should I do to my 2003 silverado 1500?

I know I need new tires, and breaks, but should I change my transmission fluid, or my transfer case? What would be best?
At 53,ooo miles, what maintanance should I do to my 2003 silverado 1500?
always go by the maintainence scedule in your owners manual. it will prolong the life of your vehicle. i think trans fluid is recommended at 30k, as well as the t-case. if its a money issue, go with a tranny flush before the t-case.
At 53,ooo miles, what maintanance should I do to my 2003 silverado 1500?
plugs and wires, rad. hoses, a flush wouldn't hurt also. just a standard tune up unless you do allot of 4x4 i wouldn't worry about your transfer case. a Haynes or Chilton's manual for your truck would be helpful, it tells you everything you should do at different mileage intervals.
As a fellow Silverado owner (2004 1500 Z-71) I would use gm-trucks.com for information. They have all the info you need in the forums section. I would do the transmission, both differentials, and transfer case. If I remember right, plugs are good for 100k but check the manual for sure. I'd also check the rest of your fluids, grease the front end, and check the air filter. Here's a good write up on how to flush your transmission at home: http://www.amsoil.com/faqs/ATF_and_Filter_Change_Procedures.pdf