Saturday 24 September 2011

What are the risks of changing the transmission?

My car's transmission just gave up a week ago. The transmission fluid was burnt and the car acted as if on neutral when put in drive or 1 or 2. My mechanic told me that it can not be fixed and that I have to put in a new one. Since i cant afford a brand new one I have to put in a used transmission and he said it comes with a 6 month warranty. My vehicle is a 96 Mazda Protege with 123600 on it. Are there any risks involving it? What caused the last transmission to break down? Will this new one break down too? Will installing a bew tran cause any other part to break down? Should i spend the 500+labour, installing this in or wait till my next 4-5 paychecks to buy another vehicle? Please help...
What are the risks of changing the transmission?
The vehicle is almost 14 years old so I would have to base my opinion on whether or not to put another transmission in it on the overall condition of the rest of the vehicle.

If the rest of the vehicle is in excellent shape, I'd probably spring for another transmission. It's certainly less expensive than starting up another car payment.
What are the risks of changing the transmission?
Using a USED tranny is always very risky. It can last 6 years or 6 months + 1 day. You JUST don't know.



Getting a rebuilt tranny is MUCH better idea. As if done by good mechanic, they can last almost as long as a new tranny.



===

Installing a new tranny on an old car, that is a waste as your other parts (the whole car) will not last that long anyway.



Good Luck...