Wednesday 21 September 2011

Does "Doing it yourself" voids the Auto warranty?

I bought a used 04 Accord off the Dealer last year and got a 120k bamper to bamper warranty for couple thousand dollars. If i change the air filter, cabin fitler, break fluids, transmission fluids and powerstearing fluids myself would it void my warranty? thanks to everyone who answers.
Does %26quot;Doing it yourself%26quot; voids the Auto warranty?
No, %26quot;Doing it yourself%26quot; will not void any of your factory warranties. There are laws that prevent the factory from voiding warranties based solely on who did the work or if you used aftermarket parts. However, you must use filters and parts that meet the factory spec, and if you %26quot;fix%26quot; your car and actually break it in the process the factory may void the warranty. If you use filters and parts that do not meet the factory specs, and they cause something else to break, the factory may void the warranty. To the best of my knowledge this is right, but if anyone knows any better go ahead and say otherwise.
Does %26quot;Doing it yourself%26quot; voids the Auto warranty?
Just don't tell anyone, silly.
Only if you use the wrong loob.
I think you'd be better off finding yourself a brand new girlfriend. Sounds like the old one has too much to fix %26quot;under the hood.%26quot;
You really shouldn't need to change the steering fluid or brake fluid, just top them off. But as far as the warranty, no problem. If there's a problem, just don't walk in and say %26quot;look what I messed up.%26quot;
I've always purchased an extended auto warranty for every vehicle I've owned in the last 9 years. I used to get them from the dealer, but lately it's cheaper to get them from an aftermarket company that specializes in warranties. http://www.autoadviceonline.com/Warranty-Quote.html They offer free quotes, so it's easy to see how much one would cost for your car.
The advice of not telling anyone is pretty good, if you can do your own work competently, I wouldn't worry about it.



If I paid a couple of thousand for the warranty, I would take advantage of it whenever possible. Is the warranty good for 120k from when you bought it, or until the car gets 120k on it?



If it's until the car gets to 120k, I would guess that you've got about 30-40k left before the warranty is no good. If so, unless you get a major problem, they've made a good profit on the warranty. Accords are reliable vehicles and other than a few CV shafts, and maybe a clutch if it's a standard, they shouldn't have to perform a lot of work on this car.