Wednesday 21 September 2011

My car needs service, but I'm broke. What can I put off until I have more money?

Hi, my 2003 Ford Focus needs its 60,000 mile service. This is a big one. I don't have a lot of money. I can't afford much more than just an oil change and tire rotation. From the list below, what can I put off for awhile? Thank you.



Current Mileage: 60000 miles

Replace engine air filter

Replace fuel filter

Lubricate front lower control arm and steering linkage ball joints with zerk fittings, if equipped

Check battery electrolyte level

Inspect automatic transmission fluid level (if equipped with underhood dipstick)

Change automatic transmission fluid
My car needs service, but I'm broke. What can I put off until I have more money?
definitely do the oil change and tire rotation , checking battery level shouldnt cost anything more then a few bucks



you can put off all the things on this list for about another 10,000 miles



the next thing on this list i'd do the soonest is air filter and fuel filter ,and grease suspension , then as soon as you can do the transmission fluid change





B.
My car needs service, but I'm broke. What can I put off until I have more money?
Do the tranny and oil change, the others can wait a while.
Change the tranny fluid........... and if possible the Fuel %26amp; Air Filters
Change all of the fluids and oils, those are the most important. You can go to a local tire shop depending where you live and they will often times rotate your tires for free. It all depends. Just do the basicas thatmake the car run first k
if you go for a full service oil change they should change the oil lube the front end and check the transmission and air filter
Go and buy the air filter.



sign up for a credit card.

http://www.creditcard.com or http://www.lowermybills.com see credit card link/tab.

Stay away from Orchard.com many fees. Even canceling the card gives you a monthly maintenance fee, that adds up to the annual yearly fee.



Just use the cc for emergencies such as this. Car/truck fixes, groceries. Just do not get carried away using plastic money.
I would replace the air filter, check the automatic transmission fluid, and keep the oil changed every three thousand miles. Using a high quality gas will help keep the filter clean and your battery is probably maintenance free.
I would just do the oil change for now. That would be the most important. Next, you can do the transmission fluild change after you get some bucks. Do the filters next, and then do the lubrication. If you do the oil change, they will inspect the transmission fluild level and the battery.
Check if the car needs timing belt replacement or is run by timing chain. And if uses belt, and is due, replace that first. If that snaps, it will trash the engine.



I would do transmission fluid flush.

I would replace air filter on my own (filter is cheap, and is easy to do) and let other things to slide.