Friday 16 September 2011

Allergies to automatic transmission fluid?

I'm a student at a school for mechanics, and I was recently changing the ATF on a Ford F-150. I was wearing nitrile gloves, but my partner nearly dropped the pan and ATF ran all the way down my arms, up my sleeves, and underneath my shirt. Everywhere the fluid touched, my skin developed a rash and later that day broke out in hives. I think I'm allergic to it. Are there any clothes, like under-armor, maybe, that would be form fitting and repel fluids? Thanks!
Allergies to automatic transmission fluid?
thats an odd problem for a studying tech.but lucky for youthey make nitrile sleeves.get you some of those and just try not to get it all over you.lol
Allergies to automatic transmission fluid?
I do not know about clothes but there is a Cream that you can get and apply to your skin then at the end of the day you wash it off... I think it would work for fluid... Unfortunately i can not remember the product name
you can try Invisible Glove, it's not a full protectant, but will allow dirt to be washed off easier.



If you're allergic to ATF, you're allergic to motor oil. ATF IS motor oil, like 5-7W, it's dyed red/pink and has a few extra additives in it.



I assume you aren't allergic to the nitrile gloves, that'd be obvious fast.



All you can do is take some ATF, clean and used and put it on uninfected areas on your body to see if you're really allergic.
Other than care taken in what you do too avoid getting it on you . They amount of protection that you would need would at the least make your day very unpleasant . As far as the Hives keep benadryl and cortisone cream in you locker to reduce affects of exposure . Brake fluid seems to be my achilles heel it makes my skin peel on the areas it touches .