Wednesday 21 September 2011

Safe to Ride Motorcycle with 4 front wheel spokes gone?

I have no experience riding and will be taking a pretty long extensive class on riding. The bike I bought for my first is a Triumph Bonneville America. Its in great shape but 4 of the front wheel spokes broke off and all the fluids need changing.



Once I take the class and im confident in riding is it safe to ride to the mechanic to get the spokes repaired? I want to be very cautious since this will be like my first time riding. Thanks
Safe to Ride Motorcycle with 4 front wheel spokes gone?
Depends how far the mechanic is. If you can do a simple ride there (like less than 1 mile), I suppose it would be ok going very slowly and cautiosly. I would never do any normal street/highway riding with spokes like that, not even on my bicycle. Good luck and see you on the road. Awesome bike by the way.
Safe to Ride Motorcycle with 4 front wheel spokes gone?
%26quot;Very cautious%26quot; would be to trailer the bike to someone who can either re-spoke the wheel [not many do since it takes special equipment %26amp; training) or order another rim. I have never seen a broken spoke in 30-years of riding; why? I would be wondering if this bike has been abused. Have fluids changed at shop, also!
Don't ride with even one broken spoke.

This puts extra strain on the other spokes and they will break too, quite quickly.

You really don't want to be riding when the wheel comes apart.



Repairing a spoked wheel is not expensive or difficult. Get it repaired



Change the fluids too, water in the oil or brake fluid can cause a lot of problems.
dont risk it....



your bike is is not in a road worthy condition..



get it transported there or simply take the damaged wheel off be a lot easier to get it repaired



i wish you luck and hope you take this advice and not the risk of taking it for a ride whilst like it is ..
Broken spokes don't, just happen! The bike has been abused or proper maintenance has been neglected. I would suspect it wasn't, in great shape, until it has been inspected.

I hope you get it checked out, awesome bike!
I've ridden in the dirt with more out than that, but, you wouldn't catch me riding one on the street that way. Unless the mech is very close, slap it on a trailer.
Its the FRONT wheel for pete's sake!?!?!?



Take it off (its not that difficult) and bring it to the shop in your car or have someone drive you if you don't have a car.



No riding involved.
Key word is SAFE....ABSOLUTELY NOT !!! ...it's operable but not safe, very high potential for a serious accident.
How good can you wheelie? Just kidding - fix it before riding!
See you in heaven if you ride that thing
dont ride it until you get new spokes in,it can cause a lot of problems